Working with Ben
I often receive requests to work on a wide variety of commercial projects. Typically I'm hired as a digital artist to work on character art and illustration projects. I'm capable of adapting my drawing style to suit different requirments, producing nothing less than top-end, high-quality results for my clients. Having spent years working in web design, graphic design and even tattooing, I'm able to offer a wider range of creative design services. I sometimes collaborate with other professionals, enabling me to provide solutions to nearly any creative project that comes my way. This includes:
- Advertising artwork and promotional illustration
- Cover art for games, books, merch, magazines
- Character design- concepts and finished artwork
- Character Concepts - front/side/back views, accessories, facial expressions, templates, etc.
- Mascot characters and logos
- Manga, Anime, Comic artwork
- Design work: graphics, page layouts, posters, flyers, websites, animation assets
Contact me with your assignment brief and I'll get back to you shortly.
What do I mention in my brief?
Please aim to provide a detailed proposal or brief before contacting me.
If you have an idea of what you're looking to pay or a set budget, let me know.
I like having proposals and communication in writing in case I need to refer back, but let me know if you'd rather phone me, meet or arrange for me to work in-house.
Here are some things to consider when commissioning artwork:
- Background: Who you are. Private individual or company? What does you organization provide?
- Audience: General information about who the target audience is. This helps convey the general scope of the project and indicate the look and feel we'll go for.
- Objectives: This can be as broad as "keeping the audience informed about our company" or it can be as specific as "entice registered users of our product to order the upgrade".
- Deliverable: What exactly do you need created? Book cover? A selection of characters in specific outfits, poses or conveying a particular theme? Art and graphic branding for your business?
- Specifications: How the design will be used. Finished size or file format. Colour scheme. Style and so on.
- Time frame: Goal date to have the design completed by. (Is it for a specific event or publishing deadline?). Is there a schedule you'd like us to go with? I.e. Initial concepts due. Revisions due. Final art date.
- Other questions: Will you handle the printing aspects? Are there additional services I must provide such as sub-contracting other professional to collaborate with? Is there anything I have worked on in the past which you'd like incorporated into your design? How did you hear about me? Why did you choose to work with me?
How much do you charge?
Pricing can vary massively depending on the type of project, complexity and my availability. I need a detailed brief (see above) in order to give a quote.
The following costs give you an idea of what I might charge, although this can change depending on the project, my amount of interest and work load. Prices are also subject to change. Here are some examples:
[Art created for non-profit, private use for an individual. For small personal projects like these, I appreciate budgets are tight, so will usually simply decline unless it looks fun and I'm not too busy with commercial work]
- Commission for non-profit, private use: Character head and shoulders sketch - pencil drawing / black and white digital sketch: £20
- Commission for non-profit, private use: Character head and shoulders digitally rendered artwork: £60
- Commission for non-profit, private use: Character head and shoulders sketch - rendered with grey markers, signed and posted to customer: £80 + postage cost.
- Commission for non-profit, private use: Full body, character drawn to customer's specifications and digitally rendered: £100
- Re-work of an existing original character design, original manga portrait or fan art for personal use with background: £50-£150.
- Custom Tattoo design of a woman's face, surrounded by swirls, feathers and flowers to cover shoulder cap and outer bicep. Mainly black and grey: £100-£150. Be aware tattooists can charge £40-£140 per hour and I imagine such a design may take 4-14 hours or actual tattoo time depending on the artist. If I can save your tattooist designing time, they may quote you a cheaper tattoo.
If you live in the south east of England and would like me to tattoo it also, please let me know. I've been tattooing part-time for over 10 years so would likely do the artwork far more justice than most walk-in studios.
[Digital art created for businesses and organisations. Art for products, advertising]
- 6 Simplistic Character artworks for a range of T-Shirts. Initial sketch then high quality, coloured versions suitable for print. Plus up to one round of free amendments at the sketch stage. Plus licensing rights to use the works solely for the shirts and related advertising of the shirts. The rights last for 1 year+ the full length that the shirts are available for sale via customer's website or outlet: £200-£350 per finished character art.
- 8 character designs for an online video game. Initial sketch then high quality, colour rendered versions for in-game or advertising. Plus up to one round of free amendments at the sketch stage. Plus exclusive rights to use the works solely for the game and advertising of the game. The rights last for full length that the game is still online and playable: £350-£750 per finished character art.
- Advertising artwork to draw 5 celebrities in a manga style for a TV promotion or Ad campaign. Initial sketch then high quality, colour rendered versions. Plus up to one round of free amendments at the sketch stage. Full body characters which can be used individually or as a composite image. £600-£900 per finished character art.
- Music CD cover and back featuring a character (American comic style. Head and shoulders image of a girl with red hair with a monster in the background and roses with petals in the border), full colour. Plus poster design including supplied text, and uses the character CD cover art: £350-£750
- Graphic Design: Advertisement Layout (for magazine ad and poster) for an independent store or service - text and photo to be supplied: Please Contact.
These prices are for digital high-resolution files. I mostly work within Photoshop so can supply files as PSDs or high-quality JPEGS or PNGs.
I am able to print and post images for an additional fee.
What is the payment / work schedule?
A deposit of 50% of the estimated costs is due upfront before work begins.
- Assignment or commission is agreed
- Deposit is paid. Normally 50%
- Work begins once payment received
- 1st draft is shown to client for approval
- Optional changes are made as work continues
- Optional 2nd draft is shown to client for approval
- Final is shown to client for final approval (low-res file watermarked with 'SAMPLE')
- Remaining payment due
- Once final payment is received, a high-resolution image without watermarks is sent
What if I need to ask for amendments?
Throughout the design process, alterations may be required. If I supply an initial sketch and the client requests small amendments such as "make hair longer" or "make eyes smaller" this is considered part and parcel of the job. However if extensive changes or entirely re-worked designs are needed, which go beyond the original agreed upon scope of the project, or were not specified at the start, additional fees will be charged.
I want to give clients exactly what they want and I'm sure my clients appreciate all art and design tasks can take a great deal of time and effort. Therefore it's important to make sure I will be compensated in the event a project takes longer than initially expected due to changes or new requirements made after the work has began.
I expect you would have checked out some of my previous illustrations and designs and will have an idea of how I tackle a brief. Also I like to get a good understanding of what's required before even picking up a pencil to help prevent any problems after work has commenced.
How long will it take?
I will specify my availability after I receive your brief and give you an idea how long your project will likely take or if it's possible to complete it within a set deadline.
A single piece of character art could take between 5 and 50 hours to complete depending on the level of finish, amount of initial sketches and detail. I usually produce detailed, crisp, smooth, digital artwork suitable for large-scale print which can take far longer than a sketchy, rough or simplified drawing. The considerations and small touches I add in order to turn a good piece of work into a great piece of work can be what takes the most time, but is always well worth it.
What about copyright?
There is an understanding that the work I produce for individuals and companies is to be used for its intended initial purpose laid out in the brief.
Certain works may require a licensing/usage contract. This allows the work to be used in a commercial way under certain conditions. This contract will stipulate usage terms and is not a transfer of ownership, property or copyright. This arrangement is suitable for 99% of the projects I work on. The reason I don't transfer copyright is that my work mostly just gets used for a specific purpose and term, then is no longer required or used. If I were to transfer copyright, the work potentially ends up in limbo should the company cease trading or they no longer need the artwork.
Many professional illustrators often charge more for the licensing than the time they invest in creating the artwork itself. I encourage any illustrator capable of producing a quality product to consider their licensing conditions and fee.
Why should I hire you rather than someone else?
Hopefully you’ve had chance to check out my gallery, something caught your eye and you'd like something similar created? Great! If you need more convincing;
► I don't just provide quick sketches or tablet doodles. I’m only looking to deliver a high-quality, coloured, digital illustration and want to give you a piece of art which you'll love.
► I'm experienced. I’ve been creating artwork professionally for the last 18 years and take pride in what I do. Not only am I 100% reliable, having never missed a deadline or abandoned a project, I always ensure good communication and consideration when dealing with customers and clients.
► I can vary my styles. I've previously produced anime characters, monsters, comic book heros, tattoo designs, book illustrations and other creations to cater for different tastes. Please refer me to examples of my artworks and let me know what you like i.e. manga style, animation cel-like colours, realistic or western comic style. If not I will create artwork in my default style.
► Character art can take many hours to create and I'm willing to go the extra mile to add final touches and details which other artists wouldn't be willing or able to.
► Character works are usually given a background so they're not against a plain white backdrop. I tend to use textures, photo manipulation or digital effects for these, but If you’d like something more fancy or hand drawn, let me know. I can draw most things from a large scale forest scene to cityscapes. Please note it will cost more as it can take many more hours to complete depending on complexity.
► I've got a wide range of design skills. Having spent years working in web and graphic design; I can produce logos, layouts and web sites, as well as tattoos, drawings and digital paintings. This gives me a vast amount of knowledge about the requirements needed to be taken into consideration when working on various art projects.
► I'm principled and honest. This one is ususally overlooked. Yes, I'm trying to sell myself here, but I wont ever lie about what I'm able to do. In the event it's not possible to deliver a project to a certain specification or within a certain time limit, I'll let you know up-front or as soon as possible and want to be fair. If you can be upfront, honest and fair with me in return, then together we've got the potential to create something really awesome.
► Lastly I would like to thank you for considering me for your request. There are so many great artists online and doing their thing, so I’m happy to know you are a fan of my work and I’m hopeful I can deliver a unique piece of artwork to exceed your expectations.
Thank you - Ben
Thereasa Carpenter,Private Commission
I was after a specific artist to compose a drawing of the comic book villain Harley Quinn for a weight lifting belt. The drawing was to be embroidered on a Pioneer Custom made power-lifting belt. I was aware that my request was a small project and by no means did Ben make me feel like it was not worthy of his time or skill. Ben’s work is truly beautiful and he met all my expectations and beyond with his talent and his professionalism. All my emails were answered promptly and his suggestions on changes or inclusions to the drawing were welcomed and accepted, the man knows his work! I would highly recommend Ben for any projects and his expertise are worth every cent and I note that he is incredibly reasonably priced.
Matt Smith,Senior Editor, Arcturus Publishing Ltd.
It has been an absolute pleasure working with you on the various projects over the last year. I wanted to pass on my thanks for your professionalism and the sheer quality of your work - it has made my job all the easier and more pleasurable.
He created my vision instantly and made the required changes in record time. I highly recommend him for your project needs. He is very reasonable and communicates effectively to create exactly what your vision is. Have no doubts about using him for your projects, his expertise and professionalism are first class. I will definitely use him again for future projects. A+ freelancer!!!”
Martin McGarry,Managing Director, Naughty Knickers
Dude they're awesome!! Well done. Thanks for that - And I'll be 100% giving you kudos where its deserved! The designs are great and I expect more to follow!
Heli Palmunen,Private Commission
Working with Ben was a pleasure and his works are amazing. He does exactly what you want and his prices are very reasonable. Just wanted to say- make an order and you'll get something fantastic! He can draw semi-realistic works, manga-styles, designs and other amazing stuff!
I just received my drawing and I had to right away leave a comment. Your work is very professional and definitely worth the price. The pencil work and the textures look unbelievable up close! I would definitely hire you again in the future. 😀
Cédric O.,Private Commission
I just received the commission and the result is really amazing ! In fact, I asked him to do a portrait/bust from a very minimal drawing. I just wanted to get a drawing with his very own style so I let him choose how to do it 🙂 I love to be surprised by talented artists with a great creative sense 🙂 Everything is so perfect: hair, face, body, pose, colors, etc... 🙂 Thanks again a lot for your great work 🙂
Sam Kennedy,Senior Campaigns Advisor, Save the Children
Hi Ben, Thank you again for your recent work for us. You understood the brief and delivered it as agreed- The balance was about right in terms of caricature and hagiography. They do look funny but not insulting to them. Given the nervousness of the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it was good they were not too stupid-looking. The quality of work was very high and we're very pleased with it. You responded to all feedback and helped us understand design choices you had made and the impact of any changes on the delivery of the project. In addition, we think the price was good value and when it became clear that more work was involved than initially anticipated we were happy to pay a bit more. The team here are really pleased with the pick-up. As my director put it to us at the end of last week, your designs really helped this story break out from technical coverage to Buzzfeed Japan type territory. Best wishes, Sam
Well what can I say mate, excellent job.. We all absolutely love your drawings.!!! Totally spot on and capture Klints older features and look fantastic with the new.. Excellent job fella.. 🙂
Rusty Everhart,Private Commission
I just commissioned this guy recently and I am so happy! Not only was I very impressed with the results, I was amazed at how quickly he completed it! If you are looking for someone to commission, you should definitely give him a try!
Andy Matthews,Private Commission
Ben, I'm speechless, it looks fantastic thanks very much... can't wait to get it and wrap it for her to receive and I know she'll love it too... Can't thank you enough and I am dead jealous of your talent.
Scott Hodson,Managing Director, OFS
Working with Ben is always a pleasure. He takes a great deal of pride in his work and is always looking for new and effective ways to present our clients with a unique design solution they’ll love. Ben works closely with our in-house team of designers and programmers. Our team have benefited working with him due to his dependability and commitment into making sure that final products meet both his and our own high quality standards. With a friendly, pleasant demeanour and “can-do” attitude Ben can always be relied upon to deliver within set deadlines, thus gaining a high level of trust and value from the OFS team. I highly recommend him to any organization looking for a talented, hard-working, reliable and trustworthy individual.